Military life is hectic enough, and for parents, can be even more challenging with changing schools and adjusting to not a new school but also a new virtual school year — new technology, digital classrooms, new teachers, academic requirements and regulations.
Fortunately, military parents arriving at Fort Belvoir have an expert who can help with these new challenges: School Liaison Officer, Jamie Albers, is ready to offer any school-related help, not only on post but throughout Fairfax County and beyond.
Always ready to help
School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.
For the staff of Belvoir’s schools, SLOs’ services are indispensable.
“Our SLO’s are absolutely essential to our work,” said Jamey Chianetta, Fort Belvoir Upper School principal.
We seek their assistance regularly and are always impressed by their dedication. Their background knowledge of military and education topics is strong, and they keep us informed about directives that impact our work.”
Critical to learning
SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.
School Support Services
How do they support military parents and children?
• Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face
• Informing parents about local school policies
• Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling
• Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives
• Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children
• Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences
For more information, visit: https://belvoir.armymwr.com/programs/school-support-services-1