Up to 60,000 household goods shipments for Soldiers, civilians and family members are expected to be moved this summer, and U.S. Army Logistics, HQDA G-4, has tips to help make a move less stressful.

Move planning and execution

Peak season for PCSing runs May 15-Aug. 31, with the busiest weeks being May 15-July 4.

Soldiers, civilians and families should avoid moving around the holidays or during the last week of May and June. This helps prevent late pick-ups and changes to deliveries.

Advanced planning and preparation are key to success. Upon receipt of orders, Soldiers should create an account or login to the Defense Personal Property System, via move.mil; upload their orders and complete all shipment applications.

Next, contact or visit the transportation office to ensure all preparatory steps were successful and to schedule convenient a move date. Scheduling is done on a first come, first serve basis.

On the day of the move, do the following:

• Refrain from scheduling other activities during moving days, as the packing and moving process can take the entire day. Make it your priority.

• Monitor how packers and movers are performing. If you have a question, call the transportation office. The Army is working to improve the HHG movement process by increasing the number of quality assurance inspections.

• Save the contact information for the moving company and quality assurance inspectors.

• Get a copy of the inventory and make sure to identify and annotate high-value items.

Additional information and detailed tips can be found in “It’s Your Move” located at move.mil.

Move entitlements

Soldiers conducting their first PCS move, moving to or from a foreign country, or making a final retirement or separation move, must schedule a counseling appointment with the transportation office to review entitlements.

Rank, dependent status, and sometimes location determine a Soldier’s weight allowance. Soldiers are responsible for staying within that allowance.

If a Soldier’s HHG is not picked up or delivered on the agreed-upon dates, he/she can file an inconvenience claim with the moving company for out-of-pocket expense supported by paid receipts.

A personally procured move, also known as a ‘do-it-yourself move,’ is not applicable for civilians. Soldiers must obtain PCS orders before they are authorized to conduct a PPM move.

Before conducting a PPM move, Soldiers must get counseling and approval from their transportation office. Soldiers have the option of moving HHG with a POV, rental truck or hiring a commercial moving company, but all methods require full and empty weight tickets.

The PPM estimator tool, found on move.mil, under the helpful links section, calculates an estimate of the maximum amount the government would pay to have a member’s HHG moved.

Final step

Once the move is complete, Soldiers should complete the online customer satisfaction survey to rate the moving company. The survey rating results keep the moving companies accountable.

A list of customer satisfaction survey scores for all moving companies are on the Defense Personal Property System customer landing page, as well as additional information on making your move, on move.mil.

If a Soldier cannot complete the survey, the U.S. Transportation Command Help Desk should be contacted at 1-800-462-2176. After dialing the toll-free number, Soldiers should select option 5 and option 1.